Sunday, August 10, 2008

Reserves: Fire 3 - Revs 1

The Revolution Reserves fell 3-1 to the Chicago Fire Reserves this morning. After the Fire squandered some early chances, Joe Germanese put the Revs ahead in the 24th minute with a chip over the keeper after making a long run into the box. The Fire tied it up a little over ten minutes later when Mike Banner converted a penalty kick.

At half time the Revs used just about every substitute available. Gary Flood, who recently returned to training after a ankle injury, entered the match as did several guest players, leaving the team with Flood, Germanese, and Brandon Tyler as the only players under contract with the Revs remaining on the field.

The Fire controlled the match from there and just a few minutes into the second half Tomasz Frankowski put the Fire in the lead. The Revs had a chance to equalize in the 61st minute, but a guest player wearing #4 sent his shot high of the mark from just a few yards out after getting on the end of a cross from the right flank. The Fire put the game out of reach with a goal from Peter Lowry in the 89th minute.


Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Fernandez, Knighton loaned out

The New England Revolution announced today that forward Argenis Fernandez and goalkeeper Brad Knighton have been loaned out to LD Alajuelense (Costa Rica’s Primera División) and the Portland Timbers (USL First Division), respectively, for the remainder of the season. Both players can be recalled at any time if needed.

Fernandez, 21, signed in March and has seen action in two first team matches this season off the bench. He has scored two goals for the reserves.

Knighton, 23, signed with the Revs in 2007 and has never made a first team appear.

Labels: , ,

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Reserves: Revolution fall 2-1 to Toronto on late goal

The New England Revolution reserves fell 2-1 to Toronto Sunday morning, giving up an 87th minute goal just seconds after they had an easy chance to take the lead. With the loss, the Revolution reserves fell to 1-4-2 on the season, while Toronto improved to 4-2-0.

The Toronto FC reserves caused the Revolution backline problems early, with the speedy Jeff Cunningham and Andrea Lombardo up top. It was Lombardo who threatened early, first making a run into the box before being taken down by a Revolution defender, only to see his team’s appeals for a penalty waved off. Soon after, Lombardo got free in the left side of the box, but sent his shot well wide of the target.

In the 15th minute Toronto took the lead, when Jeff Cunningham got free down the right flank and sent in a low cross towards the penalty spot. Goalkeeper Doug Warren ran out and dove to grab the ball, but couldn’t hold on to it. A miscommunication between Warren and Sam Brill allowed Tyler Rosenlund to get to the ball and tap it into the net to give Toronto a 1-0 lead.

Seven minutes later there was more bad news for the Revs, as Wells Thompson, making a run up the left flank, was taken down from behind by a bad tackle from Cunningham. After staying down for over a minute, Thompson was subbed out for Geoff Walker. Cunningham received a yellow card on the play.

It was Walker who got the Revs back on level terms in the 32nd minute. A Revolution corner kick fell to Kenny Mansally in the right side of the box, and the Gambian international sent a pass back to Walker. The guest player hammered a shot off the crossbar that bounced into the goal to knot the game at 1-1.

Warren came up big in the 41st minute, after Kevin Harmse managed to get free in the box. The Canadian international blasted a shot on frame that Warren not only managed to save, but also held onto it and didn’t give up a rebound.

The Revs had a chance three minutes after half time when Brandon Tyler was taken down about five yards outside of the box. A quick free kick was sent to Mansally, who was quickly taken down near the top of the penalty area. It was unclear whether the foul took place inside or outside of the box, but the referee called for a free kick and Mansally stepped up to take it. The 19 year old curled a shot over the wall, but saw it land just high of the net.

The Revolution made four substitutions in the 63rd minute with Mansally, Joe Germanese, Chris Tierney, and Pat Phelan all exiting for guest players; likely with the Revolution coaching staff having Tuesday’s US Open Cup match in mind.

The Revolution continued to look good going forward and Chase Hilgenbrinck set up Brandon Manzonelli for what should have been an easy goal in the 86th minute. Hilgenbrinck made a great run up the left flank to the end line before sending a low cross to a wide open Manzonelli about 6 yards from goal in front of the penalty spot. The 18 year old tried to one time a shot, but somehow managed to send the ball well off target.

A minute later, 16 year old Abdus Ibrahim got free in the box and hammered a shot past substitute goalkeeper Brad Knighton into the upper right corner of the net to give Toronto a 2-1 win.

The Revolution reserves don’t play again until August 10th against the Chicago Fire in Foxboro.

Unofficial line-up:

Doug Warren (Brad Knighton 45), Chase Hilgenbrinck, Rob Valentino (#38* 45), Sam Brill, Pat Phelan (#35* 63), Brando Tyler, Wells Thompson (Geoff Walker* 23), Chris Tierney (#26* 63), Joe Germanese (#37* 63), Kenny Mansally (#39* 63), Brandon Manzonelli

*Guest player


Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Reserves: Revs 5 - 0 Red Bulls

The Revolution Reserves finished up a doubleheader with the first team against the New York Red Bulls with a dominating 5-0 victory. Amaechi Igwe, Brandon Manzonelli, Chris Tierney, Geoff Walker and Chase Hilgenbrinck all scored for the reserves as they improved to 1-3-2 on the season.

Amaechi Igwe gave the Revs the lead in the 38th minute after Chris Tierney was taken down in the box by Luke Sassano. The referee pointed to the spot and Igwe stepped up and buried it into the lower left corner past Caleb Patterson-Sewell.

Three minutes later 18-year-old Brandon Manzonelli doubled the lead, nutmegging two Red Bulls defenders before sending a curling shot inside the far post.

Geoff Walker, a guest player, made it 3-0 in the 64th minute after picking up the ball in the left side of the box off a deflected shot from Joe Germanese. Walker took a touch and then blasted it into the far corner of the net.

Chase Hilgenbrinck made it 4-0 in the 77th minute. A Red Bulls defender stopped a cross with his hand in the box and the referee whistled for a penalty kick. Hilgenbrinck took it and hammered it down the middle to put the match out of reach.

Tierney made it 5-0 on yet another PK in the 84th. This time the Revs earned one after Walker was taken down from behind in the box. Tierney sent the ball low to the left corner of the net with Patterson-Sewell diving the wrong way.

New England Reserves: Doug Warren, Geoff Walker*, Sam Brill, Chase Hilgenbrinck, Amaechi Igwe (Steve Pagnotta* 46), Pat Phelan (Greg Robinson* 46), Brandon Tyler, Joe Germanese (Dan MacGreggor* 70), Chris Tierney, Argenis Fernandez, Brandon Manzonelli


Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Revs sign Chris Tierney, release Spencer Wadsworth

The Revolution today announced that Wellesley, Massachusetts native Chris Tierney has been signed to a developmental contract. The 22-year-old University of Virginia product was drafted by the Revolution in the first round of this year's Supplemental Draft and has played for the Revolution reserves three times this year as a guest player. As a left-footed midfielder, Tierney tallied 11 goals and 16 assists at UVA.

21-year-old Spencer Wadsworth was released to make room for Tierney. The former Duke University forward appeared in all four Revolution reserve matches, tallying one goal.

Labels: , , ,

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Revs add Germanese and Manzonelli, release Britner

The New England Revolution announced today the signings of Joe Germanese and Brandon Manzonelli to developmental contracts, while Matthew Britner was released to make room on the developmental roster. The 22-year-old Germanese was taken by the Revs in the 2nd round of the Superdraft (27th pick) and spent the last two years playing in the midfield for Duke University after transferring there from Vanderbilt. Prior to signing, Germanese started all three Revolution reserve matches as a guest player. 18-year-old Manzonelli, also a midfielder, has spent the last two years with Spanish club Villareal's U-18 team.

Britner, who signed with the Revs just over a month ago and was picked up in the 3rd round of the Superdraft (41st pick), played in all three Revolution reserve matches as a left back.

Labels: , , , ,

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Fernandez leads Revs Reserves to 2-2 draw

It wasn't just the first team that recovered from a poor performance in Chicago. The short-handed reserve squad tied Kansas City 2-2 this morning after falling 3-0 to the Fire last week. Newcomer Argenis Fernandez, who arrived in Kansas City yesterday after finally clearing up visa issues, scored the game tying goal in the 30th minute and then added another in the 69th minute before the Wizards scored a late equalizer. Zimbabwean Striker Kheli Dube assisted the Costa Rican on both of his goals. Recently signed Matt Britner went the full 90 minutes as did Joe Franchino, who recently recovered from an injury.

The Revs line-up was as follows:
Doug Warren, Rob Valentino, Sam Brill, Matthew Britner, Joe Germanese*, Joe Franchino, Argenis Fernandez, Brandon Tyler, Chase Hilgenbrinck, Guy Kpene* (Spencer Wadsworth 61), Kheli Dube

Substitutes not used: Brad Knighton (GK)

*Guest (unsigned) player

Labels: , , ,