Sunday, March 29, 2009

Revs Salvage Draw with New York

Kenny Mansally scored a 90th minute equalizer to help the Revolution leave Giants Stadium with a point after a back-and-forth match against New York Red Bulls on Saturday.

A Jay Heaps own goal created by former Rev Khano Smith in the 35th minute left the team in an early hole, but despite missing six starters the Revs fought hard for an equalizer the rest of the way until Mansally finally found the back of the net to earn the 1-1 draw.

Click here to read the rest at Soccer New England

Labels: , ,

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Revs Top Quakes in Season Opener

Despite missing five potential starters, the New England Revolution went into San Jose and managed to come away with three points to kick off the 2009 season with a 1-0 win over the Earthquakes.

Injuries to Steve Ralston, Taylor Twellman, Gabriel Badilla, and Mauricio Castro - as well as Chris Albright’s suspension - forced the Revs to start the season with a makeshift lineup that included rookies Darrius Barnes and Kevin Alston in defense. San Jose created several dangerous chances throughout the match but were unable to finish, and second year forward Kheli Dube’s 55th minute goal proved the game-winner for the Revs.

Click here to read the rest at Soccer New England

Labels: , ,

Friday, November 7, 2008

Season Over for Revolution

The New England Revolution fell, 3-0, to the Chicago Fire on Thursday night, ending the team's faint postseason hopes and closing the door on a marathon 2008 season that ended more in a stagger than a sprint.

Missing Steve Ralston, Taylor Twellman, Adam Cristman and Khano Smith going into the match, the Revs suffered a huge blow in the first half when Jeff Larentowicz was forced to leave the field with a possible broken ankle.

Chicago took the lead just before half time and continued to build on it in the second half while the Revs tried to claw their way back. The loss marks the first time the Revs were eliminated before the Eastern Conference Final since Steve Nicol was in charge.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Friday, October 31, 2008

Chicago and Revs fit for Draw

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Revolution put on their best performance in over a month, but couldn't find the back of the net and had to settle for a 0-0 draw against the Chicago Fire to kick off the Eastern Conference Semifinals on Thursday.

The Revs got off to a quick start and often had the Fire pinned back, but the home side extended their winless streak to seven games in front of just over 5,000 fans at Gillette Stadium.

"I think we deserved to win," said Revolution coach Steve Nicol. "It was a real rough tough game. Plenty of commitment [and there] probably should have been a couple of penalties for us on Sainey [Nyassi] and [Bakary] Soumare is trying to head the ball clear and headed it straight onto his arm. We finished the season over thinking when we were playing, basically. We decided to get rid of that and just go and play. Be committed, when you get the chance to pass the ball, pass the ball, and when you have to be strong, be strong."

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Men Down in Loss to Wizards

The Revolution lost, 3-1, to the Kansas City Wizards Saturday, but more importantly lost both Gabriel Badilla and Khano Smith for Thursday’s playoff opener after both received red card ejections.

The Revs fell down a man and a goal 26 minutes in when Badilla fouled Claudio Lopez in the box and then destroyed any realistic hope of a comeback 16 minutes later when Smith committed a reckless foul on Herculez Gomez to earn himself a red card. Kansas City put its advantage to good use, tallying two more goals before Jeff Larentowicz scored a last minute consolation goal. The loss leaves the Revs winless in their last six matches and with only one win in their last 10.

The Revolution started off with a 4-4-2 formation for the second week in a row, keeping the starting line-up unchanged. The team remains winless since April when using a four-man backline.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Friday, October 17, 2008

Revs Can't Handle United

Taylor Twellman scored his 99th career MLS goal to give the Revolution a second half lead, but D.C. United, fighting for its playoff life, battled back and won, 2-1, behind two goals by Francis Doe.

The loss leaves the Revs winless in their last five games and their record at 12-10-7. With one game remaining, the Revs will need lots of help from other results if they are to take the second seed going into the playoffs.

With Steve Ralston out to injury, the Revs started the match in a 4-4-2 formation. Gabriel Badilla got the start at center back and Mauricio Castro again got the start at right midfield.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Revs Lose Game, Ralston

The New England Revolution lost Steve Ralston and Mauricio Castro to injury en route to falling 1-0 to the Kansas City Wizards.

Ralston broke his leg on a rough Herculez Gomez tackle in the 12th minute and Castro left limping late in the second half. Ralston’s loss is the more significant. He suffered a broken right fibula and is expected to miss 6-8 weeks, putting the remainder of his season in jeopardy.

A 61st minute Jimmy Conrad goal was all the Wizards needed to keep their playoff hopes alive and hand the Revolution their ninth loss of the season. The loss drops the Revs into a tie in second place with Chicago with 43 points each.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , , ,

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Revolution Battle for Draw

The New England Revolution got off to another slow start at home, going down 2-0 in the 73rd minute and giving the 18,893 fans at Gillette Stadium the feeling that the club was again squandering a chance to solidify its grip on second place.

But then the Revs scored twice in quick succession to salvage a point in a 2-2 draw with Real Salt Lake Saturday night.

After falling behind in just the 14th minute, the Revs rarely threatened to score and Salt Lake seemed to be working hard to defend their one goal lead. When RSL took a two goal lead late in the match, the home team's offense seemed to come alive and goals by Steve Ralston and Taylor Twellman gave the Revs a draw as the team moved to 12-8-7 on the season.

"At two-nil, it was absolutely a point gained," said Revolution coach Steve Nicol. "The goals we gave away were horrendous. We can't give goals away like that. We tried to pass it and we tried to do the right things, but we were just off. We tried to do the right things, but the pass was just a half-yard short, or a yard too far in front or behind. We just weren't quite at it. But you see the character of the team, though. Two-nil down at home, 20 minutes to go, and they don't give up. We end up with a point and nearly steal it. So we can't be too disappointed from being two-nil down."

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Revs Drop Decision to Crew

The New England Revolution's hopes of claiming the supporter's shield took a huge blow on Saturday when the Revs fell, 1-0, to the Columbus Crew at Gillette Stadium to drop eight points out of first with only four games remaining.

Chad Marshall headed in a corner kick in the 35th minute to give the Crew a lead, and despite having a man advantage for the last 25 minutes when Frankie Hejduk was ejected, the Revs were unable to come back.

The Revs started the match in a 4-4-2 formation instead of the usual 3-5-2 they use at home and at times the backline looked out of sync. The offense, meanwhile, struggled to create chances.

"In the first half, if not for most of the game, we were just dumb," said Revolution coach Steve Nicol. "If you look at how they played and how we played particularly first half, we tried to make passes in the middle of our own half and they just squeezed us. And that's ok. We know there are times when you have to play the game ugly. But today, there wasn't a need for playing pretty passes and getting through people, because we did that and we tried that and it didn't work but we weren't smart enough to change it."

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Point Just Fine with Revs

The Revolution earned their first point in Colorado since 2004 with a 1-1 draw against the Rapids on Saturday at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.

Nineteen-year-old Gambian International Kenny Mansally came on at halftime with the Revs trailing 1-0 and less than five minutes later potted his first goal since May 11 to equalize for the Revs. Goalkeeper Matt Reis made several huge saves to help New England improve to 12-7-6 on the season with five games left in the regular season.

Reis came up huge in the 17th minute when Nick Labrocca unleashed a powerful shot towards the far corner from about 30 yards out. Reis managed to make an acrobatic save, tipping the shot over the net.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Friday, September 12, 2008

Ralston Keys Big Revs' Win

Steve Ralston's return to the starting lineup after being sidelined with back spasms proved just the spark the Revolution needed to end their run of bad form.

Ralston assisted on two goals and scored one of his own and the Revolution scored four goals for the first time this season in a 4-0 home walloping of Chivas USA during primetime Thursday.

After failing to convert on numerous chances in the first half Taylor Twellman scored to open the second half before Jeff Larentowicz, Khano Smith, and Ralston all added late goals to put the game out of reach.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Revolution Have No Answers

Even with a few key returning players from injury, the Revs still didn't fare any better Saturday in Columbus.

Taylor Twellman was back up top and Michael Parkhurst and Chris Albright returned to the midfield, but it wasn't enough to stop the Crew from winning, 4-0 – matching the Revs 4-0 Champions League loss on Tuesday -- and moving five points ahead of New England in the standings.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Revs Eliminated from CONCACAF

The New England Revolution fell 4-0 to Joe Public F.C. on Tuesday completing a 6-1 aggregate defeat at the hands of their Trinidadian opponents.

The loss marks the first time an MLS team has been eliminated from CONCACAF competition by a Caribbean opponent and it is also the first time an MLS team has give up three or more goals to Caribbean opposition. Additionally, it was the team's worst loss at home this season through all competitions.

It was never going to be an easy night with forwards Taylor Twellman, Adam Cristman, Kenny Mansally, and Kheli Dube all unavailable. With captain Steve Ralston also available and Nicol opting to rest defenders Chris Albright and Michael Parkhurst while starting Amaechi Igwe out of position at center back, even the defense was bound to look shaky.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Revolution Draw with Galaxy

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- A depleted New England Revolution squad played to an entertaining 2-2 draw against a well rested Los Angeles Galaxy in front of nearly 40,000 at Gillette Stadium Saturday night.

Taylor Twellman scored his 96th career MLS regular season goal to give the Revs an early lead, but the Galaxy drew level through Landon Donovan 12 minutes later. Donovan then gave the visitors a 2-1 lead 10 minutes after half time before Shalrie Joseph equalized in the 75th minute. The draw, combined with the Columbus Crew's 2-1 victory in Dallas, means the Crew now sit in first place in MLS, two points ahead of the Revs.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: ,

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Joe Public Downs Revs in First Leg

An anemic New England offense rarely threatened Trinidad's Joe Public F.C. and the Revolution fell 2-1 in the away leg of their CONCACAF Champions League Preliminary Round series.

Injuries decimated the Revs offensive options and only a late penalty kick converted by Mauricio Castro allowed them to escape the island nation in a decent position heading into the home leg.

With strikers Kenny Mansally, Kheli Dube, and Adam Cristman all unavailable due to injury, the Revs played a similar formation to the one they used in Toronto, with Taylor Twellman as the lone striker and Steve Ralston pushed a bit further forward than usual. The offensive options became even poorer when Ralston was forced to leave the match with back spasms and the Revs subbed on Wells Thompson and pushed Castro into the center.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Twellman, Revs Net Draw

The Revolution still left Canada without their first win within the borders of our northern neighbor, but did manage to get a point against Toronto FC on Saturday night.

Taylor Twellman scored the 95th MLS regular season goal of his career to give the Revs a first half lead, but Chad Barrett struck back for Toronto in the second half and the Revs left Canada with a 1-1 draw.

On the road against one of the best home teams in the league, Revs’ coach Steve Nicol opted to revert back to a 4-4-2 formation that may have looked closer to a 4-5-1 instead of using the 3-5-2 that broke the Revs out of their slump last Saturday.

Chris Tierney slotted into the backline at left back and Steve Ralston pushed up to forward. Wells Thompson filled in for the suspended Sainey Nyassi at right midfield and Doug Warren again got the start in goal for the injured Matt Reis.

Click here to read the full story at Soccer New England.

Labels: , , ,

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Revs Shook By Quakes

The New England Revolution lost their third straight game falling 4-0 to the last place San Jose Earthquakes Saturday night, in a game starting goalkeeper Matt Reis left due to injury.

Averaging just .75 goals per game entering the match, the Earthquakes put up their best offensive performance of the year and matched the Revs worst loss of the season. The loss, combined with Columbus' earlier 2-1 victory over Dallas means the Crew move into first place, one point ahead of the Revs.

Without Shalrie Joseph (suspension) and Michael Parkhurst, who was given time to rest after the Olympics, the Revs defense was made up of Chris Tierney and Chris Albright on the outside with Jeff Larentowicz and Jay Heaps in the center. Pat Phelan stepped into Joseph's spot in the center of the midfield. The team was also missing Kenny Mansally and Kheli Dube due to injury.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

DC Ousts Revs from Open Cup

The New England Revolution fell short in their quest to defend last year’s U.S. Open Cup Championship Tuesday. Opting to rest the majority of their starters and not even bothering to bring a full bench, the Revolution fell, 3-1, to a D.C. United side that was playing their best lineup available.

The Revs fell behind just four minutes into the match after 2007 MLS Golden Boot winner Luciano Emilio headed a cross from Bryan Namoff past Revs goakeeper Doug Warren to open the scoring.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , , ,

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Revs Still Can't Solve Fire

An impressive crowd of 19,240 at Gillette Stadium witnessed the New England Revolution take an early lead only to suffer a key ejection, a gaffe by their goalkeeper and a late goal to fall to the Chicago Fire, 2-1, for the third time this season.

Taylor Twellman made his return to the starting line-up and put his name on the score sheet three minutes after kickoff, but a late ejection to Shalrie Joseph, followed by a blunder by Matt Reis and another goal on a questionable play five minutes later allowed the Fire to escape with a 2-1 victory.

Twellman opened the scoring just three minutes in, heading home a Mauricio Castro corner. Goalkeeper Jon Busch got a hand on Twellman's shot from about eight yards out, but could not keep it out of the net.

"It's been a whirlwind," said Twellman. "It was good just to warm up like you are going to play a game. I've been on the bench a couple times, but there is nothing like starting. I thank Stevie [Nicol] for giving me a start again. Obviously I've been out for a while, so it was fun."

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

SuperLiga Champions!

A couple of defensive mistakes from the New England forced them to come from behind in both regulation and extra time, but the Revs fought back both times and eventually took the match to penalty kicks. Once there the team fell behind again, but this time came back and after 8 rounds emerged victorious 6-5 to claim the SuperLiga Championship.

Nate Jaqua opened the scoring 18 minutes in off a poor decision by Amaechi Igwe, who was playing out of position in center back with Jay Heaps and Michael Parkhurst unavailable. The Revs tied it up just before halftime on a well constructed Steve Ralston goal and both sides exchanged chances in the second half before the match headed to overtime. Kei Kamara got the lead back for Houston in overtime when he beat Matt Reis to a cross and headed it into the back of the net. But four minutes later the Revs again tied up when Shalrie Joseph headed home a Ralston free kick.

The match then headed to penalties where Ralston and Houston’s Craig Waibel each scored in the opening round. Reis took the Revs next kick and missed and Chris Wondolowski scored to give Houston the lead. Reis made amends, however, saving the next two penalties from Dwayne De Rosario and Brian Ching, while Shalrie Joseph and Taylor Twellman converted from the spot. Khano Smith then went up with a chance to win it for the Revs, but his shot was saved by Pat Onstad and Ricardo Clark converted to send it to sudden death.

Jeff Larentowicz and Chris Tierney scored the next two for the Revs, while Wade Barrett and Kamera found the back of the net with their shots. Chris Albright then converted his attempt, and Houston’s Corey Ashe saw his shot bang off the crossbar to give the Revs the win.

Check Soccer New England later for a full match report.

Labels: , ,

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Revolution Books Place in SuperLiga Final

The New England Revolution combined a stifling defensive performance with a well taken goal off a set piece to beat Atlante F.C. 1-0. Shalrie Joseph was the hero again with the game winner in the 30th minute, and Jeff Larentowicz almost flawlessly stepped into Michael Parkhurst's spot on the backline.

"I thought we were solid," said Head Coach Steve Nicol. "I don't remember them having a chance where they should have scored and we made two or three where we should have scored. Dube's hit the crossbar, but you've got to hit the target. I thought defensively we were sound. Jeff [Larentowicz] went in there with [Jay] Heaps at the back and did a great job. We were happy with the performance."

But what should have been a celebration for the Revs having clinched a spot in the SuperLiga final against the Houston Dynamo next Tuesday in front of their home fans was overshadowed by a violent finish. The visitors were visibly frustrated throughout the match, and tempers flared late in the second half with Atlante being reduced to nine men.

And the violence didn't stop with the end of the match. After the final whistle, Jay Heaps appeared to have a word with one of the Atlante players and soon just about everyone on the field got involved with Heaps and Atlante 'keeper Frederico Vilar, who had ran nearly 100 yards to get involved in an earlier tussle, both being issued red cards.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Monday, July 21, 2008

Joseph Nets Revs Tie

FULLERTON, Calif. – It was far from their best performance of the tournament, but the New England Revolution did enough to secure homefield advantage throughout SuperLiga by tying Chivas USA, 1-1, Sunday night.

Chivas USA had the majority of the chances and Ante Razov struck just before the hour mark to put the Revs hopes of advancing in doubt, but Shalrie Joseph proved the hero, equalizing off a corner kick to give the Revs the point they needed to win Group B.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , , ,

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Revs Outlast Pachuca in SuperLiga

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- A depleted New England Revolution squad exchanged chances with Pachuca for 90 minutes without either side finding the back of the net, before Khano Smith buried a penalty kick deep into stoppage time to give the Revs a 1-0 win in their second SuperLiga game on Wednesday.

The Revs all but ensured they will advance to the SuperLiga Semifinals, but all the positives of the night were overshadowed by Pat Phelan, who was knocked unconscious and taken off the field on a stretcher before heading to the hospital.

The Revs were without several key contributors due to injury with captain Steve Ralston, all-time leading scorer Taylor Twellman, starting midfielders Jeff Larentowicz and Maurcio Castro, as well as right back Chris Albright and forward Adam Cristman all unavailable....

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Monday, July 14, 2008

Dube Leads Revs to SuperLiga Win

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – Kheli Dube scored in the 70th minute and it was all the Revs needed to overcome a shorthanded Santos Laguna team in a 1-0 victory in the opener of SuperLiga Group B play Sunday at Gillette Stadium.

After an opening 39 minutes where both teams had spells of possession, but neither managed to create much offensively, the Revs were handed an important advantage when Juan Pablo Rodriguez was ejected for throwing an elbow. After that the Revs controlled the possession and finally managed to get the goal they needed to gain three points to open their participation in the 2008 SuperLiga...

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Cristman leads Revs to 2-1 victory over LA

Adam Cristman scored his fifth and sixth goals of the season to help lead the first place Revs to a 2-1 victory over the Western Conference leading Los Angeles Galaxy on Friday night. After taking a 2-0 first half lead, the Revolution survived a late offensive push by the Galaxy, and a lucky goal by David Beckham, to escape Los Angeles with three points and further extend their lead at the top of the standings.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Ralston Leads Revs to Victory

The New England Revolution took a two-goal lead into the final half hour of the match thanks to Steve Ralston and survived a late scare from Toronto to come away with a 2-1 victory Saturday.

Despite the late goal, and another late chance for Toronto, the Revs looked the better team from start to finish for the first time in recent weeks in earning their ninth win of the season in front of 15,863 at Gillette Stadium.

The win guarantees the Revolution coaching staff, led by Nicol, will lead the MLS All-Stars against West Ham on July 24.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Revs fall 2-1 to Salt Lake

The New England Revolution entered the match a perfect 8-0-0 when scoring the first goal and Adam Cristman put them on top in just the 8th minute. Salt Lake, however, came back thanks to an own goal by Jay Heaps and a second half strike by rookie Tino Nunez to get a 2-1 victory and remain unbeaten at home. The loss ends the Revs unbeaten run at 7 games.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Friday, June 13, 2008

Revs Stretch Unbeaten Run to Six

A perfect storm of timely scoring, good goalkeeping and poor shooting from the Dynamo, gave the Revolution a 2-0 victory over Houston Thursday night in the MLS primetime game of the week.

Steve Ralston and Kheli Dube scored first half goals and Matt Reis made several key saves in the win. Missing Shalrie Joseph, Kenny Mansally, and Khano Smith to international call-ups and Taylor Twellman and Gary Flood with injuries, Revs’ coach Steve Nicol was forced to make some lineup adjustments.

Nicol opted to switch to a 4-4-2 formation, giving Amaechi Igwe the start at left back and handing recently signed rookie Pat Phelan a debut start in the center of the midfield. Meanwhile Houston, facing many absences as well, switched things up and started out with a 4-5-1 formation.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Friday, June 6, 2008

Reis Keeps Revs Afloat

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – Adam Cristman and Steve Ralston gave New England an early two-goal lead and Matt Reis kept the Revs afloat during a second half onslaught from FC Dallas to help the home team escape with a 2-1 victory Friday night.

The win makes the Revs the first team in MLS to get to seven wins and extends their unbeaten streak to five games. The crowd at the start of the match was sparse. Most arrived late, a little closer to the start time of the second match of the doubleheader, Brazil against Venezuela, a contest Venezuela won, 2-0.

Cristman gave the Revs the lead in just the fifth minute with a diving header. The Revolution striker was well set-up by Sainey Nyassi, who beat Bobby Rhine on the right flank and sent in a good cross to the far post. Cristman was well positioned there to score his third goal of the season.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , , ,

Friday, May 30, 2008

Second-half Comeback Earns Revs Draw

The New England Revolution came out flat and fell to an early 2-0 deficit against a surprisingly impressive D.C. United side before rallying for two strikes in the second half to salvage a 2-2 tie.

D.C., currently last place in the Eastern Conference, saw their offense ignite early and pounded the Revs goal with shots. Luciano Emilio put the visitors in front in the 15th minute, but goalkeeper Matt Reis made some huge saves to make sure D.C. went into the half with only a 1-0 lead. Fred doubled their lead early in the second half, but this time the Revs offense came to life with goals from Adam Cristman and Kheli Dube giving the Revs a 2-2 tie.

DC took the lead in the 15th minute, after the Revs failed to clear a DC cross. Simms got the ball and put in a hard shot from the top of the box that was well saved by Reis. Reis, however, gave up a rebound and Luciano Emilio was right there to put it into the back of the net.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Dube Does it Again

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Kheli Dube's second goal in as many matches also proved to be another game winner as the Revolution rookie gave the Revs a 1-0 win over Columbus in with an 89th-minute goal Saturday night.

Goalkeeper Matt Reis had come up huge 15 minutes earlier to keep the match scoreless and the Revs held on after Dube's heroics to move into a tie for first with Columbus in the overall standings. The loss marked the first time the Crew had failed to win at home and put an end to their six-game unbeaten run.

Dube's late game winner came after some good work at the top of the box between Steve Ralston and Shalrie Joseph earned the Revolution a penalty kick. Ralston played a pass to Joseph just outside the box, who immediately sent it back to the Revolution captain who was just inside the arc. Ralston then turned to shoot, but was tripped by Ezra Hendrickson. Referee Richard Heron immediately pointed to the spot and Joseph stepped up to take the penalty.

The Grenadian international sent a hard shot to the lower right corner, but Crew 'keeper Will Hesmer was equal to the task and made an impressive save. However, Dube was the first to the rebound and slotted it past Hesmer for his second career goal.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , , ,

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Revs Thumped By Fire

The Revolution never really threatened the Fire's goal Saturday as they were shutout and beaten handily by Chicago for the second time this season, this time 3-0. The seven goals the Revs have now allowed against the Fire are more than double what they’ve given up in their five other games combined.

After nearly half an hour with neither team threatening to score, Chicago Fire's Chris Rolfe finally got a chance and found the back of the net. Then, shortly after halftime on what was just the Fire's second good chance of the match John Thorrington doubled the lead before Stephen King added a goal in the 77th to give the Fire a 3-0 win.

Rolfe gave the Fire the lead in the 29th minute on the first real opportunity for either team. Thorrington received the ball about 10 yards outside the box and sent in a pass to a completely unmarked Rolfe at the top of the box. Rolfe's first touch looked poor and nearly gave the defense enough time to get in his path, but he managed to turn and send a low shot past Revs’ goalkeeper Matt Reis to the far post.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Revs Seeing Red; Earn Draw With 10 Men

For the second time this season the New England Revolution found themselves down a goal early only to make matters worse by losing a player to ejection soon after. This time, however, they had no one to blame but themselves as Mauricio Castro earned himself a clear red card. Fortunately for the Revs, Jeff Larentowicz was able to convert on a dangerous free kick 10 minutes later and Matt Reis made some huge saves to help the Revs leave New York with a 1-1 draw.

Castro was ejected in the 47th minute for a ridiculous kick to Kevin Goldthwaite's groin after being fouled hard. The Honduran, who had failed to make much of an impact on the match, left the Revolution in a tough hole, already down a goal and now down a man. Goldthwaite also received a yellow card on the play.

Eight minutes later, Adam Cristman earned a very dangerous free kick after he was taken down right at the top of the box by Carlos Mendes. Larentowicz took the free kick and powered it around a seven-man wall and into the lower right corner of the net to tie the score, 1-1...

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , , , ,

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Colorado Gets First Win in Foxboro Since '02

FOXBORO, Mass. – Against a Fernando Clavijo lineup that seemed content to pack it in defensively and leave Foxboro with a draw, the New England Revolution surrendered a second-half goal on a poorly defended free kick and fell to Colorado, 1-0, Saturday night.

The Rapids’ Nick LaBrocca scored off a Jose Burciaga Jr. free kick in the 68th minute to give Colorado its first win at Gillette Stadium since 2002. Burciaga took a free kick from near the corner flag and LaBrocca rose above Adam Cristman, who seemed to have lost his mark, and headed a shot past Matt Reis at the near post for his first career goal.

The Revs, according to coach Steve Nicol, might have been fatigued.

"I guess tonight the new guys found out what the MLS is all about: three games in a week, play away on Wednesday, travel all day on Thursday and then you have to go again on Saturday," Nicol said. "It's not easy, that was a real problem for us. We didn't have that zip that we've had. We still didn't deserve to lose the game. The only way they were going to win the game was on a set piece, albeit a free kick that shouldn't have been a free kick. We had some half chances and could've scored, but we certainly didn't deserve to lose the game."

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Gambians Come Through for Revs

Nineteen-year-old Gambians Sainey Nyassi and Kenny Mansally each scored in the first half to lead the Revolution to a 3-1 victory on the road in Kansas City on Wednesday night.

The Wizards’ Jack Jewsbury recorded an early own goal and then scored the equalizer on a penalty kick before the Gambians put the Revs back in the lead for good.

New England took the lead in the 12th minute when Tyson Wahl’s attempt to clear a Mauricio Castro free kick was sent back across the box. The ball deflected off Jewsbury and went into the net past KC goalkeeper Kevin Hartman for an own goal and a 1-0 Revs’ lead.

But for the second consecutive game the Revs had a penalty kick called against them when Nyassi tackled Kurt Morsink late at the top of the box in the 27th minute. Referee Terry Vaughn immediately pointed to the spot and Jewsbury took the kick and buried it past Matt Reis to tie the match at 1-1....

Read the rest at Soccer New England

Labels: , , , , ,

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Revenge for Revs in Opener

FOXBORO, Mass. – The stage wasn’t the same, but the New England Revolution managed to extract some revenge against Houston in the season opener Saturday, defeating Dynamo, 3-0, in a rematch of the past two MLS Cups.

Goals from Adam Cristman, Steve Ralston, and the 19-year-old Sainey Nyassi gave the Revs a deserved win for a dominating performance, despite wholesale lineup changes due to offseason departures, injuries and international absences.

"It was a great win," said Revs’ coach Steve Nicol. "We were definitely the better team in the first half. I think the second half you saw the difference in fitness. They have obviously been playing in the [CONCACAF] Champions Cup and playing those games that mean something. I think the second half showed we still have a wee bit to go as far as playing a competitive 90 minutes are concerned. But saying that, I think again you saw the attitude and the commitment of the players. The goal at the end was just the icing on the cake, it was a fantastic goal. It was a great result with a great performance."

Nyassi, the man of the match according to Nicol, sealed the victory deep into stoppage time with a spectacular 50-yard run from midfield before blasting a shot into the back of the net. The Gambian youth international was all over the field making important defensive stops and creating dangerous chances up front for the team all night. The match marked Nyassi's first start for the Revolution and he became the youngest player ever to start on opening day for the Revs......

Read the rest at Soccer New England

Labels: , , , , ,