Sunday, September 28, 2008

Revs Drop Decision to Crew

The New England Revolution's hopes of claiming the supporter's shield took a huge blow on Saturday when the Revs fell, 1-0, to the Columbus Crew at Gillette Stadium to drop eight points out of first with only four games remaining.

Chad Marshall headed in a corner kick in the 35th minute to give the Crew a lead, and despite having a man advantage for the last 25 minutes when Frankie Hejduk was ejected, the Revs were unable to come back.

The Revs started the match in a 4-4-2 formation instead of the usual 3-5-2 they use at home and at times the backline looked out of sync. The offense, meanwhile, struggled to create chances.

"In the first half, if not for most of the game, we were just dumb," said Revolution coach Steve Nicol. "If you look at how they played and how we played particularly first half, we tried to make passes in the middle of our own half and they just squeezed us. And that's ok. We know there are times when you have to play the game ugly. But today, there wasn't a need for playing pretty passes and getting through people, because we did that and we tried that and it didn't work but we weren't smart enough to change it."

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Rested Revs Ready for Crew

Who: Columbus Crew at New England Revolution
What: MLS Regular Season
Where: Gillette Stadium, Foxboro, Mass.
When: Saturday, 7:30 p.m. (TV38, Cox 3 [R.I.])

The New England Revolution, now well-rested and on a more MLS-like one game a week schedule, return home to Foxboro on Saturday to face off against the league-leading Columbus Crew.

With only five games remaining in the regular season, the Revs sit in second place, five points behind the Crew. A loss would all but mathematically eliminate the Revs from contention for the Supporter's Shield and the top spot in the east. A win and the Revs are right back in the hunt for the best regular season record in MLS for the first time in club history.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Revolution Have No Answers

Even with a few key returning players from injury, the Revs still didn't fare any better Saturday in Columbus.

Taylor Twellman was back up top and Michael Parkhurst and Chris Albright returned to the midfield, but it wasn't enough to stop the Crew from winning, 4-0 – matching the Revs 4-0 Champions League loss on Tuesday -- and moving five points ahead of New England in the standings.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Revs Try to Get Back on Track

After being upset on Tuesday at Gillette Stadium by an embarrassing 4-0 score line to Joe Public F.C. -- the fifth place team in Trinidad and Tobago's Pro League -- and missing out on the Group Stage of the CONCACAF Champions League as a result, the New England Revolution have a chance to regain some respect and first place with a much needed win in Columbus Saturday.

Through all competitions the Revs are just 1-5-3 in their last eight matches. That streak started with the team winning the SuperLiga, but more recently saw them crash out of the U.S. Open Cup in the Semifinals and Champions League in the Preliminary Round. Thanks to the recent poor form, the Revs now only have MLS play to worry about and all that fixture congestion they frequently complained about is about to end.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , ,

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Update on Columbus incident: Spectator banned for life

In update to the incident at May 24th's Revolution match against Columbus at Crew Stadium MLS Commissioner Don Garber has today released the following statement:

"MLS and the Columbus Crew have extensively reviewed an incident that took place during the Crew versus Revolution game on May 24 where there is audio of a spectator at Crew Stadium using vulgar language and an unacceptable and offensive racial epithet.

"The review included video posted on the internet, and interviews with security personnel, fans and team officials.

"MLS and the Columbus Crew are working diligently with all relevant authorities, including Club Supporters Groups, to identify the spectator involved. In the event the perpetrator is identified, he will be banned for life from Crew stadium and all other MLS stadiums and events.

"MLS takes enormous pride in our commitment to racial and ethnic diversity and inclusiveness - in our stadiums, on our fields, and in our administrative, coaching and ownership ranks. We categorically will not tolerate this language in any context or setting and are working with all of our clubs and stadiums to ensure that this isolated incident is not repeated."

Tough punishment, but I can't say undeserved under the circumstances. It's good to see MLS taking a hard line on incidents like this.


Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Garber, MLS investigating incidents at Saturday's match in Columbus

MLS Commissioner Don Garber today released the following vague statement in regards to last Saturday's game between the Columbus Crew and Revolution:

"We are investigating reports of incidents from the May 24 match between the Columbus Crew and New England Revolution and will take appropriate action based on our findings."

Frank Dell'Apa of the Boston Globe had an article today on the the items thrown at players during the match, as did Kyle McCarthy at

Possibly the most disturbing part of the night was the racial slurs being hurled after Dube's goal, clearly heard in a video Steve Goff of the Washington Post found.

EDIT: The link to the video on Goff's blog no longer works, but the video can be seen here on youtube. As Goff said, CAUTION: STRONG LANGUAGE.

Labels: ,

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Dube Does it Again

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Kheli Dube's second goal in as many matches also proved to be another game winner as the Revolution rookie gave the Revs a 1-0 win over Columbus in with an 89th-minute goal Saturday night.

Goalkeeper Matt Reis had come up huge 15 minutes earlier to keep the match scoreless and the Revs held on after Dube's heroics to move into a tie for first with Columbus in the overall standings. The loss marked the first time the Crew had failed to win at home and put an end to their six-game unbeaten run.

Dube's late game winner came after some good work at the top of the box between Steve Ralston and Shalrie Joseph earned the Revolution a penalty kick. Ralston played a pass to Joseph just outside the box, who immediately sent it back to the Revolution captain who was just inside the arc. Ralston then turned to shoot, but was tripped by Ezra Hendrickson. Referee Richard Heron immediately pointed to the spot and Joseph stepped up to take the penalty.

The Grenadian international sent a hard shot to the lower right corner, but Crew 'keeper Will Hesmer was equal to the task and made an impressive save. However, Dube was the first to the rebound and slotted it past Hesmer for his second career goal.

Read the rest at Soccer New England.

Labels: , , ,