Sunday, June 29, 2008

Reserves: Revolution fall 2-1 to Toronto on late goal

The New England Revolution reserves fell 2-1 to Toronto Sunday morning, giving up an 87th minute goal just seconds after they had an easy chance to take the lead. With the loss, the Revolution reserves fell to 1-4-2 on the season, while Toronto improved to 4-2-0.

The Toronto FC reserves caused the Revolution backline problems early, with the speedy Jeff Cunningham and Andrea Lombardo up top. It was Lombardo who threatened early, first making a run into the box before being taken down by a Revolution defender, only to see his team’s appeals for a penalty waved off. Soon after, Lombardo got free in the left side of the box, but sent his shot well wide of the target.

In the 15th minute Toronto took the lead, when Jeff Cunningham got free down the right flank and sent in a low cross towards the penalty spot. Goalkeeper Doug Warren ran out and dove to grab the ball, but couldn’t hold on to it. A miscommunication between Warren and Sam Brill allowed Tyler Rosenlund to get to the ball and tap it into the net to give Toronto a 1-0 lead.

Seven minutes later there was more bad news for the Revs, as Wells Thompson, making a run up the left flank, was taken down from behind by a bad tackle from Cunningham. After staying down for over a minute, Thompson was subbed out for Geoff Walker. Cunningham received a yellow card on the play.

It was Walker who got the Revs back on level terms in the 32nd minute. A Revolution corner kick fell to Kenny Mansally in the right side of the box, and the Gambian international sent a pass back to Walker. The guest player hammered a shot off the crossbar that bounced into the goal to knot the game at 1-1.

Warren came up big in the 41st minute, after Kevin Harmse managed to get free in the box. The Canadian international blasted a shot on frame that Warren not only managed to save, but also held onto it and didn’t give up a rebound.

The Revs had a chance three minutes after half time when Brandon Tyler was taken down about five yards outside of the box. A quick free kick was sent to Mansally, who was quickly taken down near the top of the penalty area. It was unclear whether the foul took place inside or outside of the box, but the referee called for a free kick and Mansally stepped up to take it. The 19 year old curled a shot over the wall, but saw it land just high of the net.

The Revolution made four substitutions in the 63rd minute with Mansally, Joe Germanese, Chris Tierney, and Pat Phelan all exiting for guest players; likely with the Revolution coaching staff having Tuesday’s US Open Cup match in mind.

The Revolution continued to look good going forward and Chase Hilgenbrinck set up Brandon Manzonelli for what should have been an easy goal in the 86th minute. Hilgenbrinck made a great run up the left flank to the end line before sending a low cross to a wide open Manzonelli about 6 yards from goal in front of the penalty spot. The 18 year old tried to one time a shot, but somehow managed to send the ball well off target.

A minute later, 16 year old Abdus Ibrahim got free in the box and hammered a shot past substitute goalkeeper Brad Knighton into the upper right corner of the net to give Toronto a 2-1 win.

The Revolution reserves don’t play again until August 10th against the Chicago Fire in Foxboro.

Unofficial line-up:

Doug Warren (Brad Knighton 45), Chase Hilgenbrinck, Rob Valentino (#38* 45), Sam Brill, Pat Phelan (#35* 63), Brando Tyler, Wells Thompson (Geoff Walker* 23), Chris Tierney (#26* 63), Joe Germanese (#37* 63), Kenny Mansally (#39* 63), Brandon Manzonelli

*Guest player



Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home